In May, 1957, twelve families met with Bishop McNeil to establish Holy Trinity Mission,
and in that same month, the first service was held by a lay reader in a remodelled chicken
coop. By January of the following year, the mission had a priest, the Rev. Everett F.
Ellis. In 1959, the mission bought ten acres of land at the present site on Clyde Park
Avenue in Wyoming and in August 1961, ground was broken for a new church building. The
first service was held on March 4, 1962. In May, at the visitation of Bishop Bennison,
the new building was dedicated, the first conrfirmations took place, and Holy Trinity
became a parish of the Diocese of Western Michigan
with Father Ellis as its first rector. In 1967, construction of the rectory began. In
1975, the nave of the church was remodelled to its present form. The parish celebrated
the Silver Anniversary of its founding in May of 1982, with the rededication of the
building by Bishop Bennison and a symbolic burning of the completely paid mortgage. After
many years of planning, on October 22, 1989, there was a service of ground-breaking for an
addition to the church. This new addition provided a new sanctuary, sacristy, additional
seating in the nave, a new Rector's office, an elevator, a handicapped-accessible restroom,
a nursery, new meeting areas and storage, a new kitchen, and increased space in the parish
hall. During construction, the congregation met at the Northwest Elementary School building
on 44th Street. After the congregation returned to the building on Palm Sunday, 1990, the
church was dedicated and consecrated on June 9, 1990.
On the weekend of June 2-3 of 2007, we celebrated our Golden Anniversary with a special
dinner and a Service of Celebration, with Bishop Robert Gepert and most of the past rectors
of our parish. We also were honored by the presence of former members who were able to join
us for our celebration.